Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Favorite Things: Books Edition

Here are a few of my favorite books right now:

Seeing as how it took me a full school year to get through one book (Elizabeth the Queen), I am having a thrill ride gobbling up as many books as I can.  

Here was the first chow down, and it rivals Lewis.  Need I say more?


Then I landed on a delightful rendition of a Scottish myth by my favorite, Alexander McCall Smith.  Thank goodness for the toddler I naively brought with me to the second, quiet, studious floor of the library (who discovered if you push books they fall out the other side of the shelf), or I might never have decided to grab it (or have worked up a sweat in the library).

The book above on the right, Jesus Outside the Lines, is my current read, recommended by a pastor friend, and it is nothing short of fantastic.  It is challenging and apt.  I love when someone is gifted with truly shedding light on a facet of our culture and our selves, and Sauls does that here beautifully and not in the tiring way often used to critique our world, but in the very manner he proposes: that of truly loving the recipient of his message and first understanding and empathizing with where he or she is coming from.


Next on my favorite reads right now is this gem - another refreshing call to clear thinking.  I like to keep a book on my Kindle phone app for unexpected waiting times, but apparently lines around Boerne have been quick (or I've been too busy shielding all the M&Ms in the checkout lanes from aforementioned toddler) because this screen shot from my phone says my reading speed is 1%.

And for Jonah, we have loved what seems to be a bigger selection of board books from our library recently.  He's been excited for new books, which has been fun for us (I know - two teacher parents happy for reading enthusiasm.  It's shocking, I realize).  That's really just our cover, though.  The truth is, Netflix is a huge flop right now so that's why I'm all about reading.  Aside from the four episode delight I found called "The Brian Boitano Project" about a home restoration in Italy, it's all mere distraction. 

(No, home restoration stories are not mere distraction.  They are true stories, and mirror our own spiritual journey of alone to claimed, of empty to inhabited.  They are redemptive and inspiring.)

(Yes, I just justified watching HGTV with biblical concepts. I would do it again.  I can do the same for any meaningless purchase - just call me.)

Yet in all seriousness, perhaps there is a time and place to slow down on reading and start to focus on some other skills.



Really, I can only assume I've been using a mouse the wrong way all these years.  Happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment